Sunday 17 December 2006

kaleidoscopes







Catherine Wheel Kaleidoscopes.... a year of obsession!

This time last year I borrowed Bethany Reynold's book on stack and whack. I was determined to make a kaleidoscope quilt in 2006. To my great disgrace, the book remained as bedside reading for a few months more than it should have but finally I had to give it back to the Canberra Quilter's library. (I had made a few grovelling apologies to Susan Blood over those months...)
I loved the look of the blocks she was making in the book but I needed something easier. Something where I didn't need to cut filler shapes to complete the block.

Then I had a "moment". I don't know why I thought
of it but I wondered if I could make a pointy Dresden plate in a stack and whack kinda way.
Eureka!
So began the obsession.
First I bought a very small amount of nice fabric and gave it a go... it worked! I got 8 plates out of that and a cute small quilt.
Next I bought a very cheap, ugly fabric. The fabric was in nice colours but as a border print, it was quite horrible. Once it was turned into plates, the fabric was completely transformed. I had no idea what was going to happen and did not plan the plates but just let it happen serendipitously. It was fabulous.

It was so much fun, and such a success. By now I was starting to have a few more clues about what I was doing but still let chance play its hand. I bought wicked flaming fabric and a whole bunch of screaming reds and oranges. This quilt looks dazzlingly bright and not very "me".
Next? A Japanese print I teamed up with lime and purple. It's pictured a
t the top. It is now on my DD(10)'s bed.
I made tiny ones to use as flowers in a huge scrappy quilt with an appliqued vase and vine.
After that was another Japanese print. It
was intended for DD(8) but it isn't fun enough for an 8yo so I will give it to some one else.
I have just started another for DD2.
Here is the sample of fabric I am starting with.....

I haven't decided on a setting yet for the plates it is yielding. I think the setting is pivotal. Otherwise I doubt I would have stayed interested this long. Maybe an Irish Chain?
The plates I have made from the fabric have been scattered through this blog entry.

I have been teaching the technique now for about 9 months. Everyone seems to get just as hooked as me. At first I can see that they don't trust me and they worry that they don't know how the blocks will look when made. I assure them that they don't need to and that all will be well. And it always is! It is such a great fun class. There is instant gratification in a big way. How gorgeous is this block?

4 comments:

MG Quilts said...

Just love these blocks. Wish I'd thought of this ... much simpler than piecing and just as effective.

Sue said...

The blocks look great Cathy, are you going to put out a pattern/directions for them? I'd like to try this technique.

lisette said...

they look wonderful :) can you post a tutorial please? :)

Michelle said...

Now I just have to get organised to get into one of your classes!!